Every Tuesday it’s Travel Talk on Twitter! Follow the #TTOT hashtag to see what all the commotion and Tweets are about! There are two sessions to join, one at 9:30am GMT and the other at 9:30pm GMT.
Here’s the round-up of this week’s #TTOT:
Q1 via Vicki_Forde: What is your favorite travel memory that is linked with a song?
For me, it’s Israel Kamakawiwo’ole – Somewhere Over The Rainbow. It reminds me of my honeymoon
flytc: Seeing Tarkan (Turkish pop star) live in Skopje, Macedonia in 2007
christinahegele: Van Halen’s “Jump!” when doing the Kawarau Bridge Bungy for the first time
FarWriter: On government press trip in Romania in ’86 during dictator Ceaușescu regime & listening on WalkMan to “I’ll Be Watching You” by the Police
MzansiGirl: It would have to be Shakira’s Waka Waka and K’naan’s Waving Flag, played everywhere in South Africa during the 2010 World Cup
- GFexplorers: “Here comes the sun” by The Beatles as I touched down in Thailand
foodieintl: This is so cheesy but I remember listening to Toto’s “Africa” on my walkman in Kenya back in the 80s and just loving it. I was 9
- 2travelaholics: I always sing Leaving On A Jet Plane when a big trip is coming up. That song reminds me of all of them
fodorstravel: Listening to Weezer’s blue album with my Dad and sister on repeat during our yearly road trip from Missouri to Michigan
Q2 via crashpadder: If you could organize a world-wide concert for the ‘citizens of the world’, what 3 bands would you choose?
connvoyage: Iceland’s Sigur Ros, Algeria’s Cheb i Sabbah and India’s Ravi Shankar
Kings of Leon, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and U2
- adventurouskate: Backstreet Boys, Take That, Tom Jones. The world will be united in panty-throwing
- crashpadder: Mumford and Sons, Devendra Banhart and Bon Iver
Reserve123: The Beatles, Miniature Tigers, and Devotchka – Just weird and obscure enough
traveldudes: Bueno Vista Social Club, Cat Empire & Playing For Change
Q3 via Tom_Travels: What & where was the best local music you saw live?
- AlexPlim: I’d say seeing the locals of Rio drumming on used paint buckets in the city’s favellas
TravelProducer: In Venice, Italy – stumbled upon a string ensemble performing Vivaldi’s Four Seasons in full Baroque costumes. I was a music major
- lifesgreatadv: We heard a brilliant local band in Pokhara, Nepal, playing rock in a pub. They were amazing!
- InterConChicago: Smashing Pumpkins’ last show at the Metro. Couldn’t believe Billy Corgan cried
tripku: Flamenco show in honor of Spanish writer Garcia Lorca in gardens of Alhambra, Granada. Magical full moon summer night
Tom_Travels: The best local music I saw live has GOT to be the African drumming at an impromptu full moon party on the beach in Zanzibar!
- Pyromantha: Fete de la Musique Festival in Paris (Summer Solstice) Fabulous Street bands all over the city
Q4 via 25travels: Most memorable karaoke moment (oh, I know you have ONE)?
- TotalTravelBug: I once had to sit through a 7 hr bus ride in Vietnam while all the locals sang Karaoke. For 7 whole hours
whereisyvette: Doing actual karaoke IN JAPAN! We still had time so my friend and I started in on Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys numbers
SEA_Backpacker: Getting invited randomly to a Cambodian wedding & watching all the guests sing 1 after another. This’d take 10 pints in England!
hjortur: Our Chinese guide singing Edelweiss in the karaoke system on the bus in Xi’an, China. Absolut winner
- gapadventures: Karaoke in front of 200 people at a piano bar in Vegas on my bday stands out as really special
- gracenote: Once, I sang “Oops, I Did It Again” and did part of the Britney choreography while singing
mobilelawyer If you could travel back in time and see one concert, which one would it be?
melissashales: Definitely Queen at LiveAid. I remember switching on the TV in the morning intending to watch a few minutes. I was glued all day
- MikeCjourno: Jimmy Hendrix at the Isle of Wright – would have been epic
now__voyager: Billie Holiday, in some small jazz joint…
25travels: 1969 in London for the last The Beatles performance together
- krugerparkcom: Dylan and Van Morrison live in front of the Acropolis in ’84
- TravelingEditor: Frank Sinatra in full glory at Sands Hotel & Casino, LV, 1966
- mygo2it: Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean performance at Motown 25 when he first did the Moonwalk
OverYonderlust: New York, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. I think I would die if I saw them live
And there you have it, “Music & Travel”!
Next week’s #TTOT topic is: “Visa & Immigration.” Submit your questions HERE!
Have YOU got anything to add to the Music & Travel discussion?
© Connie Hum 2011