The Call of the Wild, Or Why I Can’t Stop Traveling

It would appear that I have done it again. Despite telling myself that I had returned to New York ready to stay put for the long haul, I have just completed a 4-month work assignment in NYC and booked a flight back to Asia! A lot of varying factors go into why I can’t stop traveling and I spent a lot of time making this decision. In the end, I felt the universe was telling me I really needed this trip, and so, I heeded the call of the wild once again and am setting off for yet another adventure!

The set of Love's Labour's Lost at Shakespeare in the Park.

The set of Love’s Labour’s Lost at Shakespeare in the Park 2013.

The call of the wild sounded first after I had sprained my ankle in a biking accident, which forced me to be bed-ridden for most of the summer. I was devastated to not be out doing fun things and seeing my friends because it was just too painful to do anything but lie in bed. All I could think was, “Man! What else could I be doing besides lying in bed?” Ultimately, I was imagining myself in far off locales – basically anywhere but where I currently found myself. Luckily, I did manage to catch some of my favorite NYC activities before summer ended so it wasn’t all horrible.

Traveling solo, and having a blast. Most of the time

Travel mode – Not always stylish, but definitely always fun and exciting!

Now, just one week out of my office job and one week away from my return to Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, and destinations unknown and beyond, I have to admit I’m starting to get into that frenzied excitement that, without fail, seems to find me whenever I start preparing for a trip abroad. Out comes that overused and abused backpack that I just can’t seem to get rid of despite how many times I’ve thought to myself that this was the last trip I was going to use it, out comes all my clothes that will last me for the next several months, out comes all the batteries and chargers for my various cameras, and for goodness sake’s, has anyone seen my travel Crocs?!?

Happiest birthday to me!

So excited to see my elephants again!

I’m not quite sure where my adventure this time around will take me (other than a repeat volunteer program at Elephant Nature Park), but one thing I do know is that it’s going to be one hell of a fun ride and I can’t wait to get started. Stay tuned!

10 Comments

• Melissa says:

I’m glad you’re venturing out again. Now I can read more Asia posts. :) Frenzied excitement is a great phrase for describing the way I feel when I’m preparing for a trip as well.
    Melissa recently posted…Beautiful BolognaMy Profile

• Connvoyage says:

Thanks! I’m still trying to decide where to go in Asia so is there a particular destination you’re interested in? =) Sometimes the frenzied excitement can feel overwhelming, but I wouldn’t trade this feeling for anything in the world.

• Melissa says:

You’re so right about the frenzied excitement. It can be a nerve-wrecking feeling but in a good way. As for where to go in Asia, have you ever been to Bhutan? I’ve read that it was called the happiest country in Asia, and I wonder if it would seem so to a traveler. Must be exciting to have such an open itinerary.
        Melissa recently posted…Beautiful BolognaMy Profile

• Connvoyage says:

I haven’t been to Bhutan, but I kind of have an (unreasonable) aversion to places where tourists can visit only with a tour group. Perhaps it’s the “happiest” country because that’s all we’re allowed to see? I don’t know – I’m still deciding how I feel about that, but from what I’ve seen, I do think it would be a beautiful country to visit. I’m actually considering Brunei, but there’s so few resources out there about it! Ever been? =)

• Jules says:

How exciting! As a new reader, I look forward to following your adventures. How long are you thinking of heading out on the road for?
    Jules recently posted…Malaysia Night At Trafalgar Square, LondonMy Profile

• Connvoyage says:

Hello, new reader Jules! Thanks for joining me on this wild and crazy adventure! After being away for 4 years, I keep wanting to settle down in NYC again, but each time, I end up packing up and heading out. For this particular trip, I’ll be away for almost three months. Adventure abounds!

• How exciting!!!!! I wish you the most amazing journey!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted…Las Vegas, Nevada: Day 1My Profile

• Sarah says:

Good for you! I think it’s hard for a true traveller to stay put for a very long time! :) I read in one of your comments you’re contemplating going to Brunei… I went and well, I found it boring in a cool way. So boring that it was actually cool! Of that makes any sense at all. I really liked it, although I wouldn’t per se recommend it unless you’re intrigued by the country. Then by all means; go! 😀
    Sarah recently posted…How to spend the weekend in Budapest (when you’ve already done the sightseeing)My Profile

• Connvoyage says:

Those are the same things I’ve been hearing too. There’s also a void of information on Brunei, which makes planning a bit harder. I’m leaning towards Sri Lanka more and more now… Have you been? Any tips?