Every Tuesday it’s Travel Talk on Twitter! Follow the #TTOT tag to see what all the commotion and Tweets are about! There are two sessions to join, one at 9:30am GMT and the other at 9:30pm GMT.
Here’s the round-up of this week’s #TTOT:
Q1 via MalloryOnTravel: Which ‘modern wonder of the World’ left you almost speechless/breathless?
- waegook_tom: The Sydney Opera House! I was totally dumbstruck by it
AnnaLucyT: I am pretty sure the Taj Mahal (Shrine of LOVE) will leave me breathless in October…can’t wait
- ArantxaR: Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain even when it’s not yet finished
santafetraveler: Not sure what you’re calling modern, but the Eiffel Tower as first seen from the Tracadero was amazing!
peters_muppet: The Empire State building was mind-blowing to someone who lives in a country with no sky-scrapers!
- TippettPR: Petronas Towers. Stunning scary walk across!
travelmammal: Santorini and the Grand Canyon natural wonders that made me speechless
john_oates: The Karakoram Highway between Pakistan and China. Remarkable example of human will imposed on landscape
- soultravelers3: Kidlet on camel playing violin at Petra certainly rocked!
- sunshinesiestas: I’ve been to the Alhambra seven times. Never fails to inspire, impress, blow me away
- vanilleah: Bagan, Burma. No tourists, sunset light and two rainbows in the sky.
Q2 via nomadico: What ancient wonder would you have most wanted to see for yourself?
toniwonitravels: Atlantis -I swear it’s out there and I want to explore it!
- belleandi: Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Such an extravigance for a desert culture in particular
marksmayo: Great Library of Alexandria. I’ve been to the new one, and it’s cool and all, but not the same
- gogirlonline: I reckon Colossus of Rhodes would have been pretty spectacular, especially for its time
wherechugo: All of them. Equally sorry not to have seen all the ruins destroyed in the recent wars in Iraq. Maybe someday.
AnthonyOFlynn: The pyramids in Egypt- people say it’s amazing. A true wonder of the world
Q3 via MalloryOnTravel: Which ‘modern wonder of the World’ is all hype and disappointed you most?
- OliOrtiz7: Stonhenge..interesting but doesn’t compare with the others
- BBC_Travel: Chichen Itza – there were so many tourists. It took away from a place that should have felt very eery and spiritual
- RickGriffin: The Grand Canyon … it’s just a big hole in the ground:)
- WomanSeeksWorld: The Leaning Tower of Pisa I guess…it was tiny!
- spotcoolstuff: Mall of America!
- Dalmatiaturist: Colosseum. Ok, it’s big, it’s great, but it’s falling apart and not really at its best. Inside is disappointing!
- peters_muppet: It has to be the Channel Tunnel! Very useful but visually a bit shit!
Q4 via Bryan_Snider: What are some sites that could arguably [be] a Modern Wonder of the World that isn’t one already?
faceplacecase: What about the underwater world of the Great Barrier reef as long as its still there?
WomanSeeksWorld: The MI6 building in London…may not be great for national security to publicise it as a modern wonder though!
beatthebrochure: Lençóis Maranhenses National Park in Brazil, it is really an amazing and unique place to visit
- Banff_Squirrel: I’d put the London Tube down as a modern wonder worth visiting
SuuperG: The Astoria Bridge from Oregon to Washington is memorable and spans a beautiful river
- belleandi: Trees. They are fighting a losing battle(against us) and all the time they are keeping us all alive. Now that’s a wonder
katthreesixfive: The Sagrada de Familia in Barcelona …once it’s finished I guess…
Q5 via nomadico: If you had to pick one modern wonder to see before you died, what would it be?
traveldudes: It’s not an official Modern Wonder, but my answer is: Antartica – as long it’s still there!
- toniwonitravels: Great Wall of China – love to walk the entire length for charity one day
Dalmatiaturist: Everest. Someday, somehow
- hjortur: That Heaven everyone has been talking about …I fear it’s a hype!
FearfulGirl: Lady Gaga’s penis
- roniweiss: Still gotta get my picture in front of the Taj Mahal
- KellyDeanOttawa: I would like to see all the Wonders, one at time, for a life of travel
- CryptoPete: Noctilucent Clouds are worth seeing
- albsolano: UAE. Abu Dhabi and Dubai
- InAForeignLand: I would love to see Machu Picchu
|Macchu Picchu, Peru|
And there you have it, “Modern Wonders of the World”!
Have you got anything to add to the Modern Wonders of the World discussion?
© Connie Hum 2011