Every Tuesday it’s Travel Talk on Twitter! Follow the #TTOT tag to see what all the commotion and Tweets are about! There are two sessions to join, one at 9:30am GMT and the other at 9:30pm GMT.
Here’s the round-up of this week’s #TTOT:
Q1: What’s the worst you’ve ever felt ripped off? Were you able to rectify the situation? (submitted by Travelogged)
- LadyEz: Thailand Taxi telling us that police plant things on you & you face the death penalty
- LATravelWriter: Passport stolen in Cambodia & Police wanted $150 bribe to give it back
GreenGlobalTrvl: Got to hotel room in French Quarter after 13-hour drive, it was the size of a postage stamp. We complained, ended up in a suite!
mapthegap: In San Diego, I booked into a hostel but didn’t have bed – they thought I’d be ok on the floor!
- MalloryOnTravel: Every time I fly with Ryanair or any other supposedly ‘budget’ airline
- kymri: Every time I need to use wi-fi or internet from a 5-star hotel room
PicsLyrics: Paying to bring you photocamera inside temples. I respect rules, but the bigger the room, the higher the pay….say what??
beforeiam35: Summarized: Cabbies are scum
Not happy about the cab scam in Bangkok
Q2: What’s the worst tourist trap you’ve been suckered into? (submitted by LuggageFree)
- amzkiz: Any time an ‘authentic’ tourist experience ends up in a gift shop
- toniwonitravels: Phuket as a whole. The 2nd u get there ur a cash cow 2 them & they know it. Only thing that stays the same price is a McDonalds
missemalise: I almost got suckered in2 having “lunch” with an artist near Sacre Coeur who wanted to “draw” me. Damn those charming foreign men!
karazidesign: Agra Agra Agra.. yes, the Taj Mahal is amazing and all, but it’s so annoying to try to get through all the crazy touts
- traveltherenext:: The camel riders at pyramids of giza kept moving their camels into our video/photo then asking for $10
KelseyIvey: La Ramblas in Barcelona. 1 Your lucky if you come home with your wallet. 2. Your charged to take photos
LiveShareTravel: Bangkok, told Grand Palace shut and ended up in Tuk Tuk drivers brothers tailor shop
Is the Taj over-rated?
Q3: Enlighten us: What have you learned from a bad travel experience? (submitted by athomeaway)
- CryptoPete: Watch ‘Midnight Express’ before thinking of smuggling drugs
kgoingglobal: There are good people everywhere. Left my daypack on a bus to the airport in Budapest & got it back w/ nothing missing!
- hyperren: Even the most carefully planned trip can go not quite as planned. The trick is to roll with the punches, and relax
- jbranigan: Who takes a laxative in Mexico? My former brother-in-law. BIG mistake
- cenciaaa: A smile will get you out of some strange situations
- hecktictravels: Bed bug bites will scar if you scratch them too much
- middleseatview: What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger (& a better traveler!)
Boz23: Be careful about advice from others – if I’d listened I would never have gone to Istanbul and it was fantastic!
Never underestimate the kindness of strangers
Q4: What travel destination was the biggest let down or disappointment and why? (submitted by lydiaschrandt)
- HollyGalbraith: If I had to choose one Goa India springs to mind…very average beaches & bus loads of tourists with loads of rubbish
- traveldudes: White cliffs of Dover… They go to Eastbourne to make movies about Dover ’cause cliffs are brighter!
- : Plymouth rock- moved there in 8th grade & discovered locals called it the pebble!
FruiHolidays: I was disappointed to discover that Sherlock Holmes didn’t actually live in what is now the Sherlock Holmes Museum, but next door
ChristyCamren: Pisa. My fault. Quick turnaround trip Climbed the tower then left town. Should have spent extra time in Florence instead
waegook_tom: MOSCOW. Unfriendly folk, dirty, stuck in a room with the social reject from my grade (schooltrip). Too many church tours didn’t help
eurapart: I’m with Cerys: “London never sleeps, it just sucks, the life out of me and the money from my pocket.” Catatonia
mobilelawyer: The Trans-Mongolian was a huge disappointment for me
Q5: What is your most hilarious travel fail? (submitted by travelingeditor)
- AllyToullec: I crashed my moped in Koh Pha Ngan right into a giant sign that said “Come and see the monkeys closer”. Did it
jkheaton: Makes me think time in Rosarita Beach, MX, when twisted ankle, BF almost thrown in jail
BudgetTraveller: Ending up in a bed bug flea ridden bed & breakfast in Bastille, Paris. I was red itchy like a lobster for few days
- mapthegap: I saw a tiger pee all over a teenage girl, in a nature reserve, during my trip to China
- Xplore724: Asking bus driver in Columbia to stop…desperate to pee…had entire bus of people walk past me because they had to go too!
FearfulGirl: Going horse-riding in NZ, leaving my backpack open and losing my DSLR + wide-angle lens. Still trying to find the humour, though
fishgowander: Sleep walking in Italy..jumping from top bunk into a wardrobe & waking up w/blood on my face & 6 randoms staring. Cringe!
And there you have it, “Worst Travel Ever”!
Have you got anything to add?
© Connie Hum 2011